Tuesday, September 8, 2009

My Interview With: Yulen D'Jacques (THE BATTLE LORD'S LADY)

LM: Thanks to this nifty little gadget Master Hunter left with me, we're honored to have with us Yulen D'Jacques, the Battle Lord of Alta Novis. Hello! Thank you for agreeing to this interview!

YD: I must say, all of this seems rather... odd. (laughs)

(Atty off-side: This is definitely one for the history books.)

LM: Yulen, the general consensus is that you're going to be known as a greater battle lord than your father was. Would you say it's because of the work you and Atty have been doing to build a bridge of trust between normals and Mutah?

YD: This is the first time I've heard that rumor. (laughs) But if it were true, I would have to agree with your reasoning. So much time and energy has been wasted in the past with removing the Mutah.

LM: You're speaking of the yearly cleaning sweeps that all battle lords go on.

YD: Yes. I realize now it's a barbaric practice. Because of Atty, I've come to see how senseless the bloodbath was, and I feel I need to atone for all the misery I've caused in the past when I've gone on cleaning missions.

(Indistinct voices in the background.)

LM: Is everything okay? Are you needing to close communications?

YD: (laughs) No. That's our physician, Dr. MaGrath. He's wanting to know when he's going to get a chance to talk to you.

LM: Tell Liam maybe at a later date. I have another question for you, Yulen. Other than the fact that you view Mutah in a totally different light, has marriage to Atty changed you in other ways?

YD: How much time do you have? (laughs) Seriously! I have a list! (laughs)


(Strange male voice: That's one way! The man has learned to laugh again.)

LM: (laughs) Tell Liam thank you for that observation!

YD: He's correct, you know. After my father's death, and I assumed the position of battle lord, I turned hard and unforgiving. A real first-class bastard. Atty has brought purpose into my life. I know that sounds stupid, but I don't care. She's my sunlight. I feel more sure of myself and my decisions. I feel stronger when she's with me. There's more clarity.

LM: So you're saying you're a better man because of her?

YD: Because of her love and trust in me. There's rarely a day that goes by that I am not humbled by the turn of events that brought us together.

LM: One more question. I hear there's a huge influx of people settling in Alta Novis, and word is it's because of you and Atty. And the fact that there's a truce between Normal and Mutah compounds. Do you see Alta Novis growing to the point where you'll have to shut your gates to newcomers? Or maybe build another compound?

YD: That's a great question, and one that Mother, Liam, Atty, and I have been discussion. For one, we'll never close the gates to stem the flow of newcomers. Never, be they Normals or Mutah. Bloods, however, are another issue. (chuckles)

LM: Of course.

YD: As for Alta Novis, we're already expanding, but in the next few years I hope to have New Bearinger rebuilt enough to take in the overflow. Foster City's also taking in a lot of new settlers.

LM: It's been fascinating to talk to you, Yulen. Thank you again, and I wish you and Atty many years of success and happiness.

YD: Thank you, Linda. This has been an experience we will talk about for years.


No comments: