Friday, September 18, 2009

My Interview With: Thom DeGrassi (RUNNER'S MOON: TIRON)

LM: All right, ladies. Time to get out your smelling salts, ice, and fans. My guest today is Thom DeGrassi from RUNNER'S MOON: TIRON. Welcome, Thom! Thanks for coming!

TG: Thank you for the invite.

LM: I've been dying to ask you this question. Let's pretend you never met Tiron, or Roni, as we call her. How do you think your life would have been, say, five years in the future? Or further, if you wish to travel that far.

TG: Well, for one thing, I'd probably be the most sexually suppressed male on the planet. (deep laugh). I'd also be single, no doubt about it.

LM: What about your work as a cop? Think you'd still be a cop?

TG: Oh, yeah. That much I'm certain about. Law Enforcement's in my blood.

LM: Do you ever miss the more frantic pace of the big city?

TG: As a cop? Or living there?

LM: Both.

TG: God, no. When I left Tumbril Harbor when I was fresh out of high school, I thought that living in the big city was all I wanted in life. You know, the typical dreams of a kid who'd been raised by relatives in a small town. And to be honest, in the beginning it was all it was hyped up to be.

LM: When did the silver lining start to tarnish for you?

TG: Umm, there wasn't any one defining moment. It think it came about after several months of working homicide. Seeing the depths of depravity inflicted on other human beings. (pause) I guess that's one of the many reasons why I was drawn to Roni.

LM: Because of the fact that she'd been treated horrendously by the Arra before she escaped?

TG: That, and the way her life continued to go downhill until I busted her.

LM: A little green bird informed me that you're teaching your adopted brothers-in-law how to blend in with other males. I heard you took them fishing.

TG: (chuckles) True.

LM: And how to play dominoes?

TG: (hearty laugh) Guilty as charged!

LM: Next thing you know, you'll be telling me you're giving them the finer points of Five Card Stud.

TG: Five Card Stud? No. Try Texas Hold 'Em. (laughs)

LM: Oh my gosh! (laughs) Well, Thom, how different is your life now with Roni? You're back in your home town where you grew up. You're still a cop, or in this case, a sheriff's deputy. And you're married to a stunning woman who happens to be an alien from another world.

TG: I think you just summed it up pretty well. How is my life now? Un-f*cking-believable! Am I allow to say that?

LM: Don't worry. There's a five second delay. (laughs)

TG: You know, Linda, there are days I get up, and the routine of getting ready and going to work and all is like... normal. During the day Roni and I text each other, just to talk or to clue each other in on what's going on. Something unusual we want to share. A joke. Maybe remind the other to pick up something from the market on the way home. You know, the usual stuff. The normal things I think all married couples chat about. Until she tells me about a tree she just ate. (hearty laugh)

LM: A tree?

TG: Oh, yeah. Or a flower. That's when I'm reminded of how blessed I am. How my life will never be boring. How every hour with her is a miracle. I believe Roni saved my sanity as much as she says I saved hers.

LM: Every day brings you a new surprise, doesn't it?

TG: You have no idea!

LM: Well, Thom, thank you again for sharing those little tidbits with us.

TG: Thank you, Linda, for having me. Take care and drive safe!




No comments: