Saturday, May 24, 2008

I Can’t Write Short


Oh, man!

Got a review for one of my short stories. Their complaint? It was too short, and the remark wasn’t meant as a compliment. Okay, maybe I could have developed a whole novel, or at least something around the novella range, but I was under a strict word requirement.

I will be the first to admit I can’t write short. A lot of times when I’m working on a story, just as I get ready for the "payoff" (aka love scenes) I’m already 30,000 words or more along. And as for plot development? Character development? Forget it. Get in, get out, get ‘er done.

I’ve been told for years that authors need to stretch themselves. Every now and then, they need to venture out of their comfort range and try new genres, new anything. Being a novel writer, I tried to do short.

I can’t write short. :(

No comments: