Thursday, June 12, 2008

From Sweeter Romantic Notions, Please Welcome Cindy Green

Meeting Mr. Right Online
By Cindy K. Green
Sweet/Chicklit Novella
By Grace Publishing
$1.49


Blurb:
What’s a girl to do when she’s thirty-three and all her friends have started their lives and left her behind?

Lucinda Kelley works for a local cable television show, assists her sister in her tumultuous relationships, and yearns for the day she can meet Mr. Right. All that seems to change when she meets Londoner Julian Crawford in an on-line tv chat room. Eight months later, via email he has become her best friend and closest confidant. Then one day the messages cease, and Lucinda feels lost until she makes a vow to end this infatuation with someone she has never met and move on to something real. When an alarming revelation is exposed, it could be Lucinda’s undoing or it might be exactly what she was looking for.

Review:

Author Green has written her clever tale in the first person, giving the reader a leading lady with charm, humor, and a healthy dash of klutziness. It's a sweet story with an endearing cast. And the reader can decide if truth is stranger than fiction, or if fiction is just tweaking the truth. A fun read. ~ Lynn, 4 hearts at The Romance Studio

Excerpts:
Teaser Opening:

Good evening, this is Amber Heffernan reporting live for Channel 11 entertainment news outside the beautiful Waldorf Astoria Hotel in New York City. In just a few minutes, the glamorous Lucinda Kelley will emerge with her new husband, that handsome British financier. This couple has been in the media limelight since they first started seeing each other almost six months ago, outshining all of the other popular Hollywood pairs. The bride was married today in a Vera Wang strapless scoop-neck wedding gown, and I’m told she looked absolutely stunning. When the couple exits the hotel, they will travel to JFK International Airport to board the family jet to Jamaica where the twosome plan to depart for a two week honeymoon. After that they will settle into their Malibu home in California where Lucinda produces her award winning television sitcom…

The computer beeped letting me know it had finally booted up, and there I was, daydreaming again. I really had to stop doing that. I clicked the button once more, hoping this time it would be there. I held my breath for the few seconds it took to check my email messages, feeling that depressed, empty sensation yet again when I didn’t see it. Rubbing my forehead, I closed my eyes. This was absolutely ridiculous. Why did I torture myself so?


Excerpt #2: The Job

I stumbled onto my office floor right on time, my head aching from lack of sleep. I had maybe five minutes to spare. Just enough time to get some coffee and take my place at the writer’s table. The boy’s club greeted me as I stepped into the room. This may be a small cable television show, but it was still a man’s world. That is, except for Candace Clooney and myself. She looked like she could even be George’s daughter, too, with those dark penetrating eyes and the ability to sway people to her way of thinking. And, let’s not forget that smooth, creamy skin and pert nose. She’d been on staff a whole two years less than me—straight out of college, I might add—and they had already given her more writing credits than me this season. Her voice, her very presence, grated on my nerves like a piece of sand caught inside my eyelid. She was my nemesis, if you will—that is, if my life were a comic book. Well, sometimes it sure felt like it. And here I was waiting for my superhero to swoop in and save the day. Don’t hold your breath, Lucy.

I neared the coffee maker and grabbed a mug from the table. As I began to pour the hot beverage, an awful scent of designer perfume wafted toward me. Candace. It couldn’t be anyone else.

"Morning, Lucy." She sounded just as irritatingly fresh as she looked in that trendy DKNY suit. Of course, her tone might fool others but I knew better. She was up to no good.

I gave her a half nod before returning to my coffee regimen. "Hey, Candace."

She leaned backwards into the coffee sideboard so she could look me in the eyes—and probably show off her stick-figure legs to the guys at the table. "So, how are the pages coming this week? You need any help? We could bounce ideas off each other if you want."

I turned my body so I faced her, standing tall and foreboding. I doubt I really appeared foreboding, even if I did stand about six inches taller than her. Another reason to hate her. Petite and adorable Candace. Please note the sarcasm. But don’t let her appearance distract you. She’s only ever looking out for herself.

"Thanks for the offer," I replied with all the sweetness I could muster. "It’s coming together great." I didn’t say anything else because I restrained myself and walked to the table, taking a seat next to my one and only work friend, Derek Recinos, an assistant script editor. Derek and I were friends, nothing more. He had a girlfriend who I actually liked. In fact, the three of us went out occasionally to a movie or dinner.

"Hey, Luc. What up with you?" asked Derek with a smile so charming it could literally knock any girl off her feet, especially a girl who hadn’t had a date in…a long time. He really should be careful the way he threw it around. He might cause some real damage. Gorgeous, six-foot-three Derek had olive skin, shiny black hair with a slight wave, and large cinnamon brown eyes. To top it off, he was also the sweetest guy you’ll ever meet.

"I’m fine. Nervous, but fine," I replied, my hands starting to shake. Today could make or break me in this biz.



No comments: