Thursday, June 2, 2011

Romance Movie Review - Beastly

Anything that has to do with Beauty and the Beast is automatically on my DO IT list.  DO IT as in rent it, buy it, listen to it, or whatever I need to do in order to check it out.

The moment I heard about BEASTLY, it went on my DO IT list.  And I'm very glad I did.  The story set in New York in today's time follows the original fairy tale quite closely.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if some literary teacher somewhere did a comparison study between BEASTLY and the original fairy tale, or even Disney's version, for that matter.

At no point does the romance become sappy.  It's fully believable.  And Kyle's beastly self (in his handsome guise) reminds me of the best-looking guy in high school whose parents always gave him everything he ever wanted, but he turned out to be an obnoxious jerk anyway.

Of course, to me, the people who nearly stole the show was a tug-of-war between Mary-Kate Olsen as the goth girl cum real witch, and Neil Patrick Harris playing Kyle's blind tutor.

And the ending was perfect.  Just...perfect.
Which is why my recommendation is a total High Five!   

No comments: