Saturday, June 25, 2011

Mooney's Movie Review - SUPER 8

I'm a DVD girl.  But sometimes I'll brave the theater to see a movie I feel deserves viewing on the big silver screen.  I went to see SUPER 8 this week, and the first thing that struck me was that I must have seen this movie before. 

Take E.T. and Goonies, add some terrific CGI, and you have this movie.  And although the faces were fresh, and the dialog witty, I was a bit more ho-hum about this flick than all the raving reviews I'd read about.  (Note to self - try not to get hopes up too high next time after reading such reviews.)

A brief synopis:  It's the late 70s/early 80s.  A group of middle school friends are shooting a zombie movie (a la Romero tribute) at night, sneaking out of their houses to put together the flick for their friend who plans to enter the film in a contest.  While shooting at the train depot, they take advantage of an on-coming train to get it on film.  What they never expected was for the train to crash right in front of them, and for the cargo of that train to escape.  An alien cargo that needs humans for nourishment.

Now, remember, this is a PG-13 movie.  We don't see actual human consumption, but the implication is made very clear.  I will also stay this.  The crashes and other special effects were phenomenal.

Overall, the movie was entertaining, but would I buy a copy?  At this moment, no. 

I'm giving SUPER 8 a grade of 

No comments: