Thursday, July 8, 2010

So What?

There's been a lot of talk lately since scientists have determined that reading speed decreases if a person is using an e-book reader, rather than reading from an actual dead tree book.

My response is, "So what?"

Is there a race here that I don't know about?

Are we being "graded" on how fast we can finish a book?  Or how many books we can read?

I'll be very blunt and admit that I often skip whole paragraphs and sometimes pages when I'm reading through a print book, usually because the story has gotten uninteresting.  But I don't always do that with my e-reader.  For one thing, I can't find my place I left behind because I tend to forget to bookmark my page.  (Yeah, getting old sucks.)

But all in all, is it really IMPORTANT to know we slow down our reading on those e-readers?

(Psst!  Did they count the number of times we went back to re-read those steamy sex scenes?)

No comments: