Monday, August 3, 2009

Mooney Does Movies - OUTLANDER

I was drawn in by the premise:

A man from outer space crash lands on Earth - in Norway, circa 709 A.D. Included in his space ship that is swallowed up in the lake is a stowaway alien from another world. The alien is one mean mother, and proceeds to attack and kill anyone who gets in its way.

The man, Kainan, is captured by the Norse, but they soon become compadres against the creature - melding futuristic technology with the Iron Age.

Then I saw it starred James Caviezel, Ron Perlman, John Hurt, and Sophia Myles. As a direct-to-video release? Could the movie be that sucky?

As much as I love sci-fi movies, I was also intrigued that this was also being promoted as an adventure/horror. Okay! My cup of tea!

I. Was. Shocked. IT'S GOOD! In fact, it's theatrical-release great!


Okay, just so you know, the creature is CGI, but it's damn good CGI. And the story works. Plus, there are some twists and turns in the plot that keep this from being the basic "good guy vs bad guy" story. Don't forget to check out the deleted scenes in the extras. Also, be warned there is carnage and bloodshed.


I give this movie a full moon. Go buy yourself a copy. Trust me, it makes for a terrific rainy afternoon popcorn movie.

No comments: