* They help keep the screen door propped open on the patio.
* They make a good impromptu stepladder when you need that extra inch or two boost to reach something high up on a shelf.
* They make her "look smart" when people come to visit.
* Where she lives, the telephone book is the thickness of a nickle. So when company comes over to eat, and they have a small child, print books are perfect booster seats.
* They bring the pot plants up to a level where she can water them without having to stoop over.
* They help flatten out the coupons and dollar bills that accidentally got washed in the washing machine.
* Hot pads on the table.
* They make damn good bug squishers.
* They hold down the corners of a tablecloth real good when you're picnicking outside.