Sunday, December 5, 2021

Six on Sunday - DEATH WALKER, a Sensuous Sci-Fi Romance

 

Six paragraphs from DEATH WALKER, a Sensuous Sci-Fi Romance

1. They’d had this discussion before. He wanted her. She wanted him. But her past with Doone, the way her husband had abused and mistreated her, made her freeze whenever Blynn tried to touch her intimately. It had taken months before he could hold her hand or kiss her without her becoming petrified with fear. She knew he’d never hurt her, but her body was too accustomed to going into survival mode. Its reaction was automatic as her defense mechanism kicked in. She couldn’t help herself. The ship’s psychiatrist had told her it would take some time before she could accept another man in her life. To her immense relief, Blynn was willing to wait.

2. “I’ll make this short and sweet. I’ve been informed the military has already gone planet-side to check for signs of indigenous life, or for any significant sentient life forms. We’re to remain on board until they report in. But once they give the all clear, if they give it, we’ll begin going in in shifts, just like usual.” Ayn mentally nodded. This was standard procedure, except something in the man’s tone made her sit up in her seat. So did several others in the room.

3. Her heart was beating like a drum gone wild. She didn’t know what she should fear the most—the panic in Sheriden’s voice, or the fact that he’d suddenly aborted a drill. In all the years she’d worked under the man, he’d only done it once before, and that was when they’d been fired upon by the planet’s inhabitants.

4. “Don’t ask me why I think this, but I feel there’s some of Blynn still there, inside his body. And I don’t think that creature, or alien, or whatever it is that’s inhabiting him, I don’t believe it means us any harm.” She eyed each man in the small room. “If he, it, meant to harm us, wouldn’t it have done so already? It had the perfect opportunity when we were with it.”


5. Tivey advanced on Blynn, stopping inches away from the table. “You and your people are an invasive species. You inhabit bodies without the original owner’s permission. That makes you a Level Five contaminant, and you will be quarantined!”

6. “I thought of that. I’ve talked to him. I’ve questioned him, and I listened to what he had to say. I also listened to how he said it. He’s not my Blynn. I admit that. But he is my Blynn. And if letting an alien use his body allows me to have just a few more days or hours of his company, I’ll let him do it.” The tears were falling again, but she ignored them. “If I can have him back in any way possible, I’ll take it. And I guarantee all of you would, too, if it happened to someone you loved.”

No comments: