Sunday, August 18, 2019

Six on Sunday - SEA LORDS, Deities Book 2


Six on Sunday

Six paragraphs from SEA LORDS, Deities Book 2, a fantasy romance.

1. She dragged her fingers through her short hair and threw him another confused look. “This is really happening, isn’t it? You’re the real thing, aren’t you? You’re a god. Ah, I mean minor god,” she quickly corrected herself, holding out a hand to cease his protest. “This isn’t something I dreamed up, is it? You being a hundred feet tall and making mountains out of the water. And bringing a fire that burns underwater.” She glanced at the incoming waves, then back at him. “How did you do that, anyway?”

2. “Remember, Aeron and Meris have now claimed a mortal for themselves. The females will be their weakness. If and when you discover the Primordials’ whereabouts, do not engage them. Do you understand me? Wait until they lead you to where they have hidden their women. Even then, do not reveal yourself,” Zeus harshly ordered. “Once they leave, then you can take their mortal playthings.”

3. Roby walked over to the edge of the beach where the waves tried to lap at her open-toed sandals. Staring out over the vast waters, she held out her hands. “I understand now, Meris. I understand why you’re having to do what you’re doing. Why you and your brothers have no choice. I’m not mad at you any longer. I’m mad at those horrid gods who are forcing you to commit these abominable acts. I’m mad at myself for not realizing you’re probably hurting inside because you don’t want to be causing all these deaths. All this destruction. Come back and talk to me, Meris. I want to help you, just like you’ve helped me. I can’t offer you fresh water or fish to eat, but I can offer you a comforting shoulder. Come and feel free to unburden yourself. Tell me what you’ve been through. Tell me about the torture. Tell me what it was like to spend all those long and terrible years underground. I’m here for you, Meris.”

4. She shouldn’t have laughed at him. As soon as he’d bowed his head, confusion reddening his face, she knew she’d gone too far. She mentally kicked herself for what she’d believed was a bit of playfulness and teasing. His lack of knowing how to respond tore into her heart.  I forgot he comes from a time in history that hasn’t existed in thousands of years. Nothing about this world is familiar to him anymore. That alone would terrify anyone, godlike or not. And after all he’s been through, after all he’s suffered, now he’s faced with an impossible task that has to be eating at him. I can see it in his brothers’ eyes, too. They hate what they’re being forced to do. I can almost see it tearing at their guts because they’re having to murder all those innocent people.

5. The light around her brightened, burning her eyes through her eyelids and searing her skin. Roby whined in pain, when a roar of anger reverberated in the chamber. Without warning, the light vanished and she was released. She fell onto the rocks and sand as another scream of fury almost shook the interior. Blinking past the tears, she glanced up just as a massive wall of water arched over her and slammed into the sun god, sending him flying across the length of the grotto. 

6. Apollo chuckled. “I told you your strength was no match for mine. But I will give you credit for your tenacity. I have not had this much fun in ages.” He laughed again as he slowly drew nearer the captive demi-god, stopping in front of him to relish in Meris’s torment. “Zeus was a fool to have you and your ilk bound and kept underground for so long. He should have allowed us to play with you. Put us in the arena with you to help us keep our powers honed and our skills perfected. No. Instead he placed you in the deepest part of the Underworld to rot, while we slowly faded into obscurity. Disappearing one at a time into the ether for lack of believers. It wasn’t until the loss of Athena that Hades convinced him to bring you back up from the depths.” He snickered in amusement. “You and your brothers will bring us from the brink of extinction. You are powerful in your own right, but you are no match for us.”

No comments: