Sunday, June 2, 2013

A Week of Tips and Tricks to Writing - #1 Stuck in a WIP*


This week, I'm going to be passing along little tips and tricks I use to help me when I'm writing. Today, I'm going o address "Stuck in a WIP".

Okay, so I've written myself into a corner. I know where the story is going. It's just a matter of "What now?", and "How do I get from Point A to Point B?"

My solution is to put the WIP on the back burner and start fresh. Begin a new story, either by outlining it, making notes about it - whatever I need to prepare myself - and then get the first chapter or two out of the way.

By the time I'm that far along, my brain has been able to reboot itself, and I can come up with a solution to my orignal problem. That will lead me to finishing the book!

And the WIP I started? It can either be my next project, or it can rest happily in a folder until I can get back to it.

* WIP = Work in Progress

2 comments:

Wendy said...

I'm going to stalk your tips and tricks to help me in my upcoming writing fiction class....wonder how dirty I can get. Think I can shock my instructor?

Linda Mooney said...

I say go for it! Good luck! :D