Sunday, December 24, 2017

Six on Sunday - BREATH OF CHRISTMAS

Six paragraphs from Breath of Christmas, a Sweet Contemporary Fantasy.

1. Brindle dug her nails into the palm of her hands and tried to steady herself. Eventually, the hopelessness faded away. “You’ve come to grips with it, Brin. You’ve come to accept the inevitable. You’re home now. Time to find your inner peace and let God do as he may while you’re happy.”


2. Dropping both feet to the floor, he leaned over the coffee table, closer to her. “Listen. You’re a young woman who has severe health problems, or else you wouldn’t be on oxygen. You come back to town where you grew up, but you know practically no one. You’re alone, you’re afraid, and you’re very wary of complete strangers who try to help you. Especially men. If I was in your shoes, I’d probably feel the same way.” He leaned back again. “So what did she tell you?”

3. Hamon came over and sat on the opposite end of the sofa, turning to where he faced her as he continued in a gentler tone. “I may be wrong, but I think you don’t have two nickels to rub together. Go ahead. Tell me I’m wrong.”

4. Hearing his bantering tone, she closed her menu to give him a direct look. “Come off it, Hamon. You know you have devastatingly good looks. Add to that the fact that you’re a wounded veteran, I’m amazed you aren’t being inundated with girls asking you out.”

5. In addition, she couldn’t deny, nor could she describe how happy she was at this moment. She’d seen everything she’d hoped to see when she came home. She’d revisited her favorite spots, eaten at her favorite restaurants, and relived her most precious memories. With the exception of her illness, these past couple of days couldn’t have been more perfect.

6. “I fell in love with you, Brindle. I wasn’t planning on it. I never believed it was possible for me to do such a thing. But now I understand why I was assigned to be with you. Because having someone to love you was the one thing you always regretted never having. And my task is to make sure you never want for anything ever again.”

Buy links.

No comments: