Thursday, November 8, 2012

Has Television or the Movies Ruined You for a Particular Character's Name?

When our sons were born, the hardest thing my husband and I had to do was to name them. For him, the name couldn't be of someone he knew and didn't care for. For me, it couldn't be a student I'd taught who had given me a year of misbehaving misery.

As a writer, I'm back to square one again. What do I name my hero and heroine? Unfortunately, some names I particularly enjoy are the names of certain characters on television shows or movies, and these characters are total jerks or beyotches. No way do I want to give the two most important people in my book a moniker that might remind the reader of someone they detest, either fiction or non-fiction.

Yeah, I know the chances of not having that happen are pretty minuscule. But am I the only one who feels this way?

No comments: