1. The growing heat was becoming oppressive, turning the air into a suffocating blanket, making it harder and harder to draw breath. Turning to the panel, Kyber searched for the white light that they believed indicated the temple. When he finally realized what he was seeing—or rather, what he was not seeing—he froze in stunned disbelief. “We may have a problem.”
2. Walking hunched over quickly sapped their strength. After another hour, Kyber realized he was no longer sweating although the temperature remained sweltering. His body couldn’t emit enough moisture to help cool him. He’d noticed Fullgrath had stopped wiping his brow some time ago, which meant he and everyone else was tottering on the edge of heat exhaustion. Placing one foot in front of the other was becoming a major effort. In addition, he felt light-headed, and his eyes were having difficulty remaining focused. The others appeared to be having similar problems.
3. The hot, orange-tinted room was replaced with a blast of freezing cold. Add the advancing darkness enveloping him, and Kyber found himself momentarily at a loss as to where to go. The wind picked up, forcing him to jump off the platform as bits of frozen rain sliced through the main opening in the temple and pelted him like a hundred tiny knives. Running to the nearest wall, he pressed his back against it when he heard his name. Following the sound, he felt a hand grab his arm and jerk him behind another wall.
4. The high-pitched shrieks were pathetic to hear. As Kelen listened, tears streamed down her face as she imagined the terror the little creatures were facing. After a few more seconds, she knew she couldn’t desert them. Not after what they had done to save her life.
5. Kelen watched as the security officer advanced, his body outlined by the orangish light. Everyone’s attention was on Cooter, when a high, piercing whistle came from behind her. She whirled around in time to spot Five hastily climbing down Dox’s pants leg. When the furry reached the ground, he tugged on Dox’s uniform and gave another short screech. Before she could comprehend what was going on, Five dashed for the tunnel wall and vanished.
6. The front door opened and Fullgrath stumbled in, out of breath. The man was wide-eyed as he gestured outside. “Guys! You gotta see this! Now!” Before anyone could ask, he raced back out of the apartment.