Sunday, November 25, 2012

I Need My Romantic Movies!

I was in Hastings yesterday, looking for a nice romantic movie. An acquaintance saw me and asked what was I looking for? I told her I was in the mood for a little romantic movie, and did she have one she could suggest? She replied, "Why don't you just read a book, like the kind you write?"

There's a big push on for people to turn off the TV or movie, and "turn on to a book". Books are fine and good. I love books. But I also need my romantic movies.

Why? Well, for one thing, if I see an on-screen couple with definite chemistry, I want to try to recreate those feelings in my stories. I watch the characters' interaction, the moves, the gestures, the looks, and I file them on mental index cards. I listen to the words and the tone of voice, and I hope to emulate it.

Books are great for taking me away to places I've never been. But I also need my movies to help me give my own stories that sense of realism and warmth that first love, true love, and everlasting love can bring.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

can you tell me the name of the movie in the pic?

Linda Mooney said...

Pride and Prejudice