Friday, June 8, 2012

A Curious Propostion

I recently received a fan letter (Yay!) with a curious request. She told me how much she enjoyed my books she'd read, except "for the explicites and occassional expletives". And could I re-write and release them without those things (like the swear words and sex scenes) in order "so the books can be included in family libraries and
read by wider readers."

I told her I wasn't planning on doing such a thing, but I've also learned to never say never. But her question got me to thinking.

First of all, has anyone else ever been approached to rewrite their book to make it more palatable for younger readers?  If so, did you?

Second, I write Sensuous Romance. That means creating love between two people where having sex is an essential part of building that love. It would be very difficult to show the depth of love growing between the hero and heroine without the sex scenes - or, at least, that's my opinion.

At this time when publishers are asking writers to push the boundaries in terms of sex, etc., it was refreshing to get an email asking for less. Although I wonder if a snipped version would sell.

No comments: