Tuesday, February 21, 2012

A Week of Inspiration - Day 1, The Photo

I often have people, including authors, ask me where I get my inspiration to write. Where do my ideas come from? This week I'm going to share a few of my tricks which help me.
*
The Photo
*
I find a picture that inspires me. It can be a single shot of a couple, or two separate pics of a man and a woman. The photo can be one that makes me feel soft and romantic inside, or makes me think this might be the climactic part of the book. From there I begin to build a story around them. Who are these people? Why are they there? What is their conflict? I print out the picture and pin it above my computer to keep me focused. I write their names on the photo, including eye color and any other descriptive nuances (tattoos? scars?). In time, their story begins to emerge.

No comments: