Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Scam and Identity Theft Alert


Bless my bank.

I got a phone call from my bank yesterday morning.  Someone had tried to use one of my debit bank cards to purchase items over the internet Monday evening to the amount of over $700.  The bank declined it because the purchaser didn't have that magical 3-digit number on the back of the card (I'm the only person in possession of the card.)

Tuesday morning same person tried again with a different company in New York.  Two Apple iTouches to the amount of over $500.  This company did NOT require the 3-digit pin, but because the SHIP TO address was different from my home address, the order was put on hold to verify with the bank.  Thus, the bank called me.

The shipping address was to a location in Newfoundland in Canada.  These people not only had my name, home billing address, and credit card number, they also had my personal cell phone number!  How they got my information, I have no idea since that particular bank card is not used frequently.

Needless to say, I was shocked and fearful.  Thankfully the company cancelled the order, and my bank is re-issuing me a new card.  I have since contacted the authorities.

People, take NOTHING for granted!  Double check every credit card and especially your bank statement every month!  You never know.

As my grandmother always said, "It's better to be safe than sorry."

No comments: