Saturday, June 12, 2010

Future Predictions, Take 6


Number Six: Music.

This is one of the saddest parts of the change story. The music industry is dying a slow death. Not just because of illegal downloading. It's the lack of innovative new music being given a chance to get to the people who would like to hear it. Greed and corruption is the problem. The record labels and the radio conglomerates are simply heading toward self-destruction. Over 40% of the music purchased today is "catalog items," meaning traditional music that the public is familiar with. Older established artists. This is also true on the live concert circuit. To explore this fascinating and disturbing topic further, check out the book, "Appetite for Self-Destruction" by Steve Knopper, and the video documentary, "Before the Music Dies."

**Hubby and I now get the majority of our music off of iTunes.  The iPod has so revolutionized music, my Kindergarten students did not recognize a record album, 8-track, or even a cassette when I introduced them.**

1 comment:

Angelia Sparrow said...

Music itself will not die.

People have been making music forever and will continue.

Youtube, Myspace and other net venues are putting more new out there than ever before.

In the 1980s, I had a horrible time getting filk music. I loved Leslie Fish and wore out the songs of hers I recorded off Dr. Demento. Now, I just go to her website and buy it.

Also, the back catalogue stuff, we're able to afford it now. I can not only find Marty Robbins' Gunfighter Ballads, I have the disposable income for it.