Thursday, April 23, 2009

Bye-Bye Amazon Shorts

Back in 2006, I joined the Amazon Shorts program with 36 EXPOSURES, my short that ran just a smidge short of the 10K maximum word count. I followed a few months later with FIRELIGHT.

According to my Amazon contract, I would get paid royalties after I reached a $10 minimum payment.

Well, it's now April of 2009. I've never received a payment. And I've never received a statement. Ever.

So I sent in an email asking for a statement. The man who had been in charge apparently is no longer around. In addition, the Amazon Shorts program has been discontinued. (Their official word is "on haitus".) The one email I've gotten in response says that Amazon will never release my rights to me. And that I will be getting a statement "as soon as possible". The email was dated Feb. 12, 2009. To date? Nada.

Here it be known: According to my contract, as long as 1.) the book has been exclusively with Amazon Shorts for at least 6 months, and 2.) I give Amazon 30-90 days notice, I can seek a third-party publication.

I have sent my notice and another request for a current statement. But as an added CYA, I'm also posting here, and letting my readers know that Amazon will continue to sell my two stories 36 EXPOSURES and FIRELIGHT. But I won't see any profit from those sales.

I'll keep you posted and let you know who does contract them.

No comments: