Sunday, February 15, 2009

Somewhere in Time - the Quintessential Romance Movie

It was in the early 1980s. I was fresh out of college and working two jobs -- full time as a music teacher at a junior high school, and part time at a department store.

I had a crush on Chris Reeve ever since I first saw him in Superman. Jane Seymour's beauty was astounding. So when the movie came to town, the last showing of the evening was at 9:30. I got off work at my part-time job at 9:00, and rushed to catch the last show.

I cried copious tears. I went back 4 more times to see the movie, and every time I sobbed into my tissues.

Back then, VCRs were new, and ran anywhere from $600 and up. I got my first one at Sears (an RCA) for nearly $900. Blank tapes cost $24.95 for a 60 min. tape (the VCRs were not programmable back then to adjust to different times - you had to buy the tape to fit the time you needed.)

SiT was the first movie I ever bought in VHS format, for $89.95. It was a LOT of money to spend for someone earning less than $10K a year.

The movie endures. The movie is priceless, IMHO. This week, station WGN out of Chicago is holding a Somewhere in Time contest where the winner gets free lodging at the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island.

If you are interested in entering, go
here. (Contest ends Feb. 20th!)

To learn more about the movie, here is the official site, and here is the IMBD info.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I also love the film "Somewhere in Time". My favorite song is Rachmaninov Rhapsody on a Theme by Paganini that way featured in the story.

Such a beautiful and romantic film. I know it affects how I look at love to this day.