Thursday, November 20, 2008

Giving Thanks - For Sons

As of this writing, my sons are 24 and 21. TJ is 6 ft. 3, and Ben is 7 ft. 2. (Yes, that's right. 7 ft. 2 - he has to bend over to enter buildings, but he can also hang things from the ceiling without using a ladder.)

TJ was an easy birth, even though he was 4 weeks premature (and weighed in at 8 lbs. 6 oz.) Natural pregnancy without complications. Natural delivery (between water breakage and delivery, less than 30 minutes.)

Ben, on the other hand...sigh... Difficult pregnancy, 6 weeks premature (at 8 lbs. 4 oz.) Breached birth, C section delivery, sepsis. Ben spent the first 10 days of life in the intensive care neonatal ward.

It's 20 plus years later. We've had good days, bad days, exuberant days, and days I could have easily put a FOR SALE sign on them. But then I remember when I was pregnant with them. I remember how I felt when I carried them, delivered them, and then loved them as I raised them.

I have a family, and my sons will be my legacy. I have been blessed.

Thank you, Dearest Lord, for allowing me to bring new life into this world, and for showing me the richness of motherhood.

1 comment:

Renee said...

Thank you! Seriously. My son just turned 13, he's the only boy of four children and I've almost put a free sign on him.

You give me hope.

Thanks again,

Renee