Sunday, August 24, 2008

Mooney Does Movies: "Starship Troopers 3 - Marauder"


First off, let me say that I LOVED the very first Starship Troopers movie. The whole cast rawked big time, and the story line and CGI effects were first class all the way.

The second ST movie was "meh". I could take it or leave it because I missed seeing Casper Van Dien in the second installment.

So you can imagine my excitement when I heard about ST3 - Marauder coming out WITH Van Dien back as Johnny Rico. On top of that, also in the cast was Jolene Blalock (Star Trek: Enterprise) and Amanda Donohoe.

Well, I've finally gotten to see this direct-to-DVD movie, and in the immotal words of Richard Roeper of "At the Movies" -- SKIP IT.

It's a cornier, campier (but not in a good way) extension of the bug plot, except this time there are some people who worship the Brain Bug as God. No, not "a" god. God.

The CGI effects are 60/40 -- you can clearly see the blue screen behind them, or the wires. Or, in one instance, the camera crew reflected in the glass. For the cherry on this sundae, the acting is pathetic.

Oh, I'll give it short kudos for a couple of good ideas. The scorpion is neat. And the gorey gruesomeness was okay. As for the little pillbug bombs...ehh, the jury is still out on those.

But overall I just can't seem to put my finger on exactly why this third time 'round didn't work for me. It was much closer in "vision" to the first Starship Troopers movie, but the heart was missing. The violence is plentiful, including a lot of heads exploding and decapitations. The R rating comes from the gore and a strip scene where seven troopers led by Rico get indoctrinated.


Overall, I have to give this movie a big, fat, empty new moon.

Save your pennies and wait for it to come out on cable if you feel you must see it.

No comments: